Executive Director Position
UPDATE – HIRED APRIL 2022
The Millwald Theatre Inc. (“Millwald”) seeks a dynamic, creative individual with a proven track record in performing arts management to lead a new regional performing arts center located in Wytheville, Virginia. This position offers the opportunity to shape and guide Millwald through its opening and beyond, while making a lasting imprint on its operations.
Initially, the Executive Director will shepherd Millwald through its set-up, opening, and first season while developing an effective operating model and staffing plan to support its mission of contributing to downtown revitalization and economic growth in Wytheville, Virginia by purchasing, renovating and operating the historic Millwald Theatre as a multipurpose entertainment and education venue. In the long run, the scope of responsibilities for this position includes artistic and program planning, building partnerships and relationships with the region’s arts, cultural, business, civic, and educational organizations, audience development, strategic planning, fundraising and donor relations, marketing/advertising, personnel and volunteer recruitment and management of all operational, financial and administrative functions at Millwald.
Purpose and Mission
Millwald is a place for people to gather and participate in the arts. Its mission is to develop and operate a welcoming venue for assembly, artistic expression, entertainment, education and refreshment. Millwald is designed to provide exceptional opportunities to view, experience, and learn about art through performances, programs, workshops, classes and multi-disciplinary events.
Situated at the crossroads of major north-south arteries, Interstates 77 and 81, Wytheville, Virginia, is a welcoming town in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. The community has a growing and diverse economy with tourism as a strong component of economic development. The area boosts over 150 tourism-related businesses including a variety of lodging and restaurants, extensive outdoor recreation, rich historical sites and museums, and dozens of authentic, home-grown attractions. Thriving with small-town appeal from the revitalized downtown district to the rolling hills of farmland, Wytheville offers the conveniences of a rural urban area combined with the charm of community rich in history and scenic beauty.
Description of the Project and Timing
Renovation of the historic Millwald Theater building is scheduled to be completed in July 2022 and will feature a 515-seat main stage theater, 7500 sq. ft. of support facilities including 2 education spaces, a patrons lounge, admin area, a green room and four dressing rooms with private toilets and showers. The Millwald will present a year-round schedule of performances, visual art displays, and arts education programs to reflect a balanced representation of community-based groups and regionally and nationally sourced performers/presentations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director will work with the board to establish the strategic direction of Millwald and implement programs and initiatives in fulfillment of Millwald’s mission. They will be responsible for planning and programming, budgeting, strategic planning, general administration, fundraising, community outreach, and for assembling, leading and overseeing a staff for Millwald’s inaugural and subsequent operations.
The Executive Director will plan and manage the start-up of the Millwald and all aspects of a well-thought-out, phased development including building the team and putting in place systems to ensure its success. The Executive Director’s duties will include but are not limited to:
- Artistic and Educational Programming – Identify opportunities, plan, implement and contract for the Millwald’s artistic and educational programming in the visual and performing arts (dance, music, theatre, circus arts, cinema, family programs, workshops, residencies, lectures, art exhibits and other mixed genre forms) to achieve a balanced, year-round schedule of locally and nationally-sourced performances, collaborations and events suited to serving the community and the artists living in the community. Identify and implement special projects that take advantage of the Millwald’s facilities while contributing to the advancement of the performing arts and the community’s economic development.
- Governance – Engage, guide and support the board to set strategic directions for Millwald and to govern effectively.
- Marketing and Communications – Plan and oversee how Millwald communicates its work and mission to the public to attract participation and support including branding, graphic design, and content for print materials, signage, social media and for Millwald’s website.
- Patron Services – Plan and oversee Millwald’s program for patron services, front of house management and ticket sales.
- Facilities Management – Oversee the management of the Millwald’s buildings, grounds, mechanical systems and production equipment. Put in place staff and/or contracted services to operate and maintain the campus, facilities and equipment.
- Finance and Control – Develop and manage the organization’s annual budget. Put in place systems to manage Millwald’s finances including systems for budgeting, accounting, payroll, receivables and disbursements, 501-C-3 and other regulatory compliance reporting, board reporting, banking, etc.
- Information Technology – Put in place and manage systems for IT/computers/telecommunications to support Millwald’s information and data management needs.
- Production and Technical Support – Oversee staff to provide technical, lighting, sound, and stage management support for productions.
- Fundraising and Development – Plan and implement a comprehensive fundraising program targeting individuals, corporations, foundations and government sources.
- Personnel/Human Resource Management – Attract, support and cultivate a talented and diverse team to run the Millwald.
- Volunteer Recruitment – Attract, support and cultivate volunteers to undertake support activities at Millwald events.
- Policies and Procedures, Manuals of Operations and Routine Contracts – Establish, set rates for, implement and update manuals and contracts to support all aspects of Millwald’s operations.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in a specialty area of visual or performing arts or arts management preferred
- Experience and Qualifications – The successful candidate will have 5 to 10 years of experience in management of a visual or performing arts center/space, including experience in a senior management position. Successful experience in the business of performing arts presenting and producing, including contract negotiations, performance marketing, labor relations and a working knowledge of technical requirements. Experience in all aspects of venue management. Demonstrated experience in community outreach and engagement and in developing arts education programs. Outstanding writing, verbal and communication skills. Excellent organizational skills. The capacity to work independently and as a self-starter as well as a team player. The ability to think creatively to develop and sell innovative and entrepreneurial ideas. Willingness and commitment to embrace and become part of the unique rural setting of Wytheville, Virginia.
- Location: Wytheville, Virginia 24382
- Job Function: Executive Director
- Job Type: Full-Time (exempt)
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
- Min Experience: 5–7 Years
- Salary based on experience.