TECHNICAL Director Position
The Millwald is seeking an experienced and qualified Technical Director to oversee all production aspects of operating a professional, multi-purpose performing arts complex. This includes primary responsibility for sound and lighting for all productions and performances, as well as maintaining a safe and compliant (OSHA and ADA) work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Determines the necessary technical supports such as sound, lighting, staging and special needs necessary for events and performances in advance of production dates
- Ensures smooth and professional operation of all technical aspects of all productions including sound and lighting board operation
- Assists with preparation of and manages technical operation budgets
- Monitors condition of equipment, arranges for repair and replacement within budgetary constraints and performs preventative maintenance on equipment
- Maintains current knowledge of all production equipment and systems and supervises training
- Oversees management of all load-ins and outs
- Serves as Building Supervisor after normal hours of operation, or during assigned productions and rental events
- Manages paid and volunteer team members
- Serves as a member of the Millwald leadership team
- Works with partner on feasibility, cost, and equipment capabilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Millwald is seeking a person with experience working in a technical position at a performing arts center or related live performance venue. Candidates must be proactive, relationship-oriented, strategic, and should feel comfortable juggling multiple projects in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment. This position will have a strong voice in shaping arts entertainment and education in our region for years to come.
- Sound engineering experience
- Ability to direct teams with leadership qualities that embrace the vision of the organization
- Ability to work with frequent nights and weekends and unconventional hours
- Willingness to accept other duties as assigned
- Location: Wytheville, Virginia 24382
- Job Function: Director
- Job Type: Full-Time (exempt)
- Min. Education: College degree preferred
- Min. Experience: 3+ Years
- Salary based upon experience
- This position is eligible for employment benefits including paid time off, health and life insurance, retirement plan, ticket discounts, and more
About the Millwald
The renovation of the historic 1928 Millwald Theatre building, 205 Main Street, downtown Wytheville, VA, will feature a 500-seat performance space and 7,500 sq. ft. of support facilities including two education spaces, a patron lounge, offices, and facilities to accommodate professional touring artists. Owned and operated by a nonprofit organization, The Millwald will present a year-round schedule of events, education, and engagement opportunities for the region.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.